a counteruniformitariansism weblog

6.12.2007

I was saddened to learn this morning of the passing of one of my favorite New Zealand bloggers. I will copy/paste in here what another New Zeland blogger had to say, as I am not so eloquent:

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Death of a Blogger
I was saddened to read of the death of blogger Dodderyoldfart, writer of the blog
Rest Area 300m, aka Simon Lindsay. I enjoyed his humourous writing style. Through him I now have an appreciation of those who take care of our roads as he wrote about his observations as part of a small road maintenance crew looking after about 200km of SH3 on the West Coast of the North Island, NZ. I now see myself as a potential killer as I approach road work teams. Through him my eyes have been opened to the abstract qualities of road signs & markings. Thank you, Mr.D.

We often pass those men in the bright high-vis jackets, and give them not a thought.I'm a working man too. A man in dirty overalls and steel-toed boots. I'd like to think that my working garb does not define me. Doddery's certainly didn't define him. He was well read, a thinker, a philosopher of the back-hoe. soubriquet

No comments: